Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something tells me it’s not unusual

4 posters

Go down

Something tells me it’s not unusual  Empty Something tells me it’s not unusual

Post by Chrisj357 Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:16 pm

So the blistering heat of this summer has subsided and driving the Healey is an absolute joy. At almost every red light windows are being rolled down and conversations about my car ensue. Most times the first question is WHAT IS THAT? Today coming home from church someone asked (from their SUV at a light) “Is that a Cobra?” I replied it is underneath but outwardly it’s an Austin Healey and then they light up like OH YA!

I have a motorcycle that draws similar attention so I’m used to it. People really like these cars. Like I said. I bet I’m not the only one that experiences these conversations.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Chrisj357

Jimboquick and Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Something tells me it’s not unusual  Empty Re: Something tells me it’s not unusual

Post by AHSebring64 Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:30 pm

Not quite sure why, but my wife gets a lot more of those questions when she drives the Sebring than I do. Smile

One thing I struggle with is how to answer that question at a car show or with "car guys"; is it a Sebring (that no one's ever heard of) or an Austin Healey (which British sports car aficionados may bristle at) or an Aston Martin (can't tell you how many times someone thinks it's the 'James Bond car) or "just a" kit car (as if that's a bad thing)?

In my case my wife and I usually call it an Austin Healey because that's what it's titled as and then we can explaine further if someone is interested.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Jerry & Lisa Mills, Panther and Chrisj357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Something tells me it’s not unusual  Empty Re: Something tells me it’s not unusual

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:53 pm

Hi Chris,
Oh boy, your fun is just beginning. We've been answering those questions for over 20 years. Probably the neatest thing is how many people we meet that had one or some relative/neighbor/school friend had one. Tales of cross-country trips, skying, wrecks, V8 conversions and yes, even sex.
Yeah, we mostly go with what AHSebring64 says.
I often add it's a replica but that depends a lot on who's asking. Kids don't care. They just want to sit in it and get a picture. A lot of adults (that once had one) also. The second most common description we use is "just like a Cobra but with a better body". You can add with real roll up windows and no side pipes to burn your legs.
Other points we throw in are things like - yes, the factory race cars had flared fenders - no, the cheesy louvers don't work - no, you can tell it's not a real British car. It's not dripping 5 different fluids and you can't hear it rusting.
Just got the Aston Martin thing Saturday from a guy my age (old). Explained the British Sports Car Hagiarchy of the era. Aston Martin, then Jaguar, then Healey and we can't afford and Aston. He's now an expert.   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
At stoplights and such, we just say Austin Healey.
You're in for a blast. Let us know how it goes.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Jimboquick, Panther and Chrisj357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Egordon1475 Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:51 pm

I’ve had mine for 9 years and struggled with answered the same questions.
What is it? An Austin what?
Is it real? Yes, it is a real car!

I go by Ed or Eddy, I was watching a car show on TV and started thinking about those questions when a Ferrari came across the screen and my twisted mind minded the two thoughts and arrived at the conclusion my car is ‘For Eddy’. Which led to this

Egordon1475

Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Egordon1475 Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:56 pm

Car guys comment “Is this a Ferrari?
Kids, who haven’t been exposed to the Ferrari logo read it straight out as Fereddi.
It has led to many fun conversations.

Egordon1475

Jerry & Lisa Mills, Panther and Chrisj357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisj357 Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:16 pm

I’m very happy to hear all your fun stories of conversations about our cars. It really is fun. I’m looking forward to years of this. I too have added a non standard badge, it has kind of confused a couple people but I think it makes sense because the donor car was a mustang and the engine is a cobra. Lol

Chrisj357

Loren Tungesvick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum