Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie intro

4 posters

Go down

Newbie intro Empty Newbie intro

Post by Dave Chisholm Tue May 02, 2023 8:12 pm

I just bought a partially assembled car. It's got rear leafs, so I'm told it's a Sebring 5000.
I plan to put it on a C4 Corvette chassis, which is about seven inches wider. I'm wondering if anyone here has put larger flares on or even cut and widened the entire body.
I'll have MANY questions during the build and thank the community in advance for your help.
Also, is there a PDF assembly manual available? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave Chisholm

Back to top Go down

Newbie intro Empty Re: Newbie intro

Post by AHSebring64 Wed May 03, 2023 1:13 pm

Welcome to the Forum. You can find a build manual on the Home Page - General - Database.

You may want to consider updating/improving the suspension that you already have before you embark on trying to adapt your Sebring to a Corvette chassis. Less work and you won't lose the inherent look/charm of the Austin-Healey body style.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Wed May 03, 2023 11:20 pm

Welcome! I've only heard of the swap to a C4 chassis being done once, the flares were widened and re-shaped. Let me see if I can find it.

Here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Wed May 03, 2023 11:51 pm

Doesn't like too bad with extra wide fender flares!
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Chisholm Thu May 04, 2023 8:56 am

It looks great. Thanks for the pics.

Dave Chisholm

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sun May 07, 2023 12:02 am

Hello Dave C, Welcome
To answer your question...."or even cut and widened the entire body" yes it has been done by none other than Donald Healey.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You can punch in "Austin Healey 4000" in your favorite search engine for more details.
If you can pull that off, (it would be so cool) you will go down in history.
On the other hand, have to agree with AHSebring64.
With Mustang II suspension you have so many choices to alter it to suit. If you want to see an absolutely amazing build, scroll though master car builder Hotrods write up here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's long but worth it. I'd be willing to bet his car can mop the floor of any C4-C7 Vette and probably even a C8 up to 150mph.
Flares would be easier, but when they get that wide, they look kinda clownish (just my opinion) and you will lose the overall look of a design that has stood the test of time. Went to two car shows today and met 4 more people that had one. Also had a few younger people asking what it is. Couple kids sat in it and parents took pictures. The design is appealing to a wide range of ages because the proportions are correct. Super oversized flares wouldn't do it justice. I'll say again it would be super cool if you could widen it but man-o-man there's a lot of challenges there.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum