Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side Pipes

2 posters

Go down

Side Pipes Empty Side Pipes

Post by Steve Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:03 am

I'm thinking of putting side pipes on now that I replaced old leaking headers with stainless. Found a kit.. anyone have pics or an opinion.. Dave I believe you have them yours
Steve
Steve

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Side Pipes Empty Re: Side Pipes

Post by David V. Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:09 pm

I wouldn't trade em for anything! Very Happy
That being said I don't think most kits will fit due to how short the distance between the header collector and the front of the pipe is from front to back.

#1 recommendation is make sure you already have a set of headers you like that will be there for the life of the car. The header flanges never arrive at the same place from one set to another, so you don't want to have to modify your setup down the road.

#2 recommendation is you'll want a crossover pipe for both performance and sound.

#3 recommendation is you need to have side-pipes that have a good set of glasspack mufflers built into them, there's no room for mufflers anywhere else. I also had a set of augers shoved into them to help make it street-friendly but I've since been able to remove them because the port-matching I did on the headers and the weber carb combo actually made the exhaust quieter (albeit with a nicer tone).

You do get to smell a bit more exhaust fumes when you're stuck in traffic, but nothing else sounds like it.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:16 pm

Yes I was able to fit a set of stainless block huggers.. Only mod was on the passenger side motor mt.. I had to grind motor mts.,bend and re weld.. Didnt have to "hammer" the headers. I purchased the 50 inch side pipes from Summit.. I think they will work.. Only issue will be connection from collector to side pipe.. Looking at stainless steel flex, until I can get exact measurement for a pipe..They have mufflers already in pipes...
Steve
Steve

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Aye same here, I found some stainless steel flex and clamps from the semi-truck suppliers that they usually run on those cab mount exhaust setups on big trucks. So about 1ft of flex between the end of the sidepipes and an H-pipe that goes to both collectors, with some baffles welded in to keep the majority of the gas flow from crossing over.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:51 pm

Ill let you know how it works out,,
Steve
Steve

David V. and Jimboquick like this post