Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering preference?

4 posters

Go down

Steering preference? Empty Steering preference?

Post by Stevez Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:07 pm

The MX kit I purchased came with a Mll power steering rack. Since I am sort of starting from scratch on this project I’d appreciate your experience and thoughts on using a manual or power rack. I have an electric rack but I think that is overkill for this car.
Thanks

Stevez

Back to top Go down

Steering preference? Empty Re: Steering preference?

Post by Hotrod Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:18 pm

I think power steering is a subjective thing for each owner/builder.  I had an original MII manual rack in my car originally.  With it, I really didn't think the effort required to turn at low speed was excessive.  However, the steering rate was very slow, about 4 complete turns lock-to-lock.

The power racks are only about 2.5 turns L to L.  Much quicker and more appropriate for a sports car, IMO, but you are correct in that the power assist is not really needed for someone with reasonable upper body strength.  The quicker rack ratio would definitely take more effort at low speed.  While high effort at low speed is a common problem for all manual steering, rack and pinion steering tends to be higher effort than other types.

I have installed an aftermarket manual rack from Flaming River that is 3 turns L to L.  I also have an electric assist unit on the steering column (custom installation).  The EPS has a control harness that allows me to adjust steering boost.  I haven't driven the car yet, but I'm hoping that I can get the best of both worlds with this setup.  Reasonably quick steering combined with low boost levels on the highway and higher boost when puttering around in a parking lot.

The main complaints I have read about concerning the type of EPS that I have is a "dead" feel in the steering wheel and a tendency to not want to return to center after a turn without input from the driver.  That's not the way a properly working steering system is supposed to work.  I have left provisions for returning to a hydraulic power rack if I don't like the way the system feels.  The only reason I'm even contemplating any type of boosted steering is because my wife may be required to drive occasionally and she needs the assist.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Jimboquick and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevez Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:24 pm

Thank you. The decision may lie in part on whether installing a pump is practicable on the 2.3l ecoboost.

Hotrod, I'd like to know more about the column mount steering assist you installed. If I am understanding this correctly I could install a manual rack (from some year Mustang) and if I feel I need assistance and quicker steering I could add an electric column mount assist kit? That way I would not need a pump?

Stevez

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Essentially, you are correct.  My installation was a do it yourself conversion using a steering unit out of a Chevy Equinox.  The control harness was from a guy on EBAY.  I didn't use the whole Equinox column, just the power unit and it took some machine work and welding.  Here's what the finished column looks like:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is an EPS setup from Flaming River.  It is intended to install between the column and rack.  I've seen pictures of some Cobras that used this system.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I would have to think that somebody makes a power steering pump bracket for a 2.3 Eco.  The GM style pump with a remote reservoir would be my first choice if I had to make my own brackets.  They came with serpentine pulleys and are pretty compact.  The remote reservoir allows you to move the tank to where you have room.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Hotrod on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:06 pm

My MX has manual MII rack/steering and I wished I had installed electric power steering when I replaced the steering column (with a custom Ididit). I would say that the steering effort is significant at parking lot speeds (but fine at any other speed). Of course, my has a V8 and with a lighter engine up front the steering wouldn't be has hard.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:30 pm

To each their preference, I love my manual flaming river rack and wouldn't ever consider changing it. I do ok at parking lot speeds and it's not like I ever need to parallel park in the areas I drive. It feels amazing and direct at speed. I do recommend fitting a sizeable steering wheel though, the smaller Grants won't give you enough leverage but too large and you'll skinning your knuckles on the door. I think mine's an original Pontiac Fiero wheel with a modified horn button.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AHSebring64 Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:23 pm

David V. wrote:To each their preference, I love my manual flaming river rack and wouldn't ever consider changing it. I do ok at parking lot speeds and it's not like I ever need to parallel park in the areas I drive. It feels amazing and direct at speed. I do recommend fitting a sizeable steering wheel though, the smaller Grants won't give you enough leverage but too large and you'll skinning your knuckles on the door. I think mine's an original Pontiac Fiero wheel with a modified horn button.

I totally agree that the steering wheel diameter makes a big difference. We using a very small diameter Moto wheel which provides more interior room at the sacrifice of steering leverage.
AHSebring64
AHSebring64

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevez Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the contributions to the question.

Stevez

Jimboquick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down