Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mustang Frt. End

3 posters

Go down

Mustang Frt. End Empty Mustang Frt. End

Post by Steve Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Could anybody tell me if this a Mustang Frt end on my AH. The wheels are 5 lug with disc brakes..Mustang? Would like to up grade brakes
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Mustang Frt. End Empty Pics of Front end.Took me awhile

Post by Steve Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Mustang Frt. End Empty Re: Mustang Frt. End

Post by Hotrod Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Yep, that's a Mustang II.  They came stock with 4 hole wheels.  There are 5 hole rotors available for the stock brakes or it could have a complete aftermarket brake system on the front.  No way to really tell from the pictures. You would need to pull a wheel. It does kinda look like a stock MII brake setup, though.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks.. I've had the wheels off, the brakes look stock..Just kinda lost me with the 5 lugs. Has adapter kit for spoked wheels of course. Was built in 1990..so have no idea what they used..
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 am

Looks almost exactly like my setup, and mine are 5-lug. One thing I've learned though when shopping for brake upgrades.... the only brake kit I've found that doesn't increase the width of your front end by 1/2" on each side is the pricey Wilwood one. With all the other kits you'd likely have to start messing with wheel width and back-spacing so they don't rub on your fenders .
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Jerry & Lisa Mills and Steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am

David V. wrote:.... the only brake kit I've found that doesn't increase the width of your front end by 1/2" on each side is the pricey Wilwood one.

That's because the cheaper big brake kits use Ford Granada rotors.  They fit perfectly on the  MII spindles, but as you said, the widen the track by 1/2 inch per side.  I have Granada rotors on my 46 coupe.

I definitely wouldn't use them on a Sebring with unmodified MII suspension.  It would be next to impossible to get a wheel/tire combo that would fit under the fender without going to custom wheels. Unless you don't mind running really skinny wheels and tires.
Hotrod
Hotrod

David V. and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:23 am

Agreed, I test-fit a set of Granada rotors one time when I had the discs off because I had a set lying around from another project. You can see the difference in flange thickness here (Granadas in purple):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Unfortunately forgot to take a picture with the wheel on but there was nowhere near enough clearance, not to mention it looks ridiculous with a wider front track than rear. You could make it work by getting a 3-piece wheel re-barreled to the correct offset, the JDM guys do it all the time, but that's not a cheap proposition and you'd want matching rears. There's a bunch of discs out there with the same bolt pattern, but they don't seem to fit the same spindles/bearings. I've wondered whether there's a spindle kit out there that would let me run more modern mustang discs.

The issue with the Wilwoods is that they're 11" discs from memory, so the caliper wouldn't clear the inside of my 15" wheels. Since my rims are a pretty common brand I found that I could get the same wheel as a 16" or a 17", but that's only worth doing once my tires are needing changed. Either way if you're doing a brake upgrade on this car you'll be needing new front wheels and tires at the very least.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Jimboquick, Hotrod and Jerry & Lisa Mills like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum