Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serial or frame number

3 posters

Go down

Serial or frame number Empty Serial or frame number

Post by Monrob22 Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm

So I'm curious if anybody out there knows where to find a number to the frame or something like that? I have a kit without a VIN tag or manufacturers label. Is there any identifying number stamped or engraved on the Sebring Mx that can be used?

Monrob22

http://Monarchcustomcabinetry.com

Back to top Go down

Serial or frame number Empty Re: Serial or frame number

Post by Hotrod Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 am

My frame number was stamped on the driver side rail in the area just behind the front crossmember. It was on the side of the rail and may not be visible with the inner fenders in place.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

Here's a pic of where the number was stamped on my frame.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hope it helps.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrob22 Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am

Thank you Hotrod! I will look for it.

Monrob22

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrob22 Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Hotrod, was that number on the inside or the outside of the rail?

Monrob22

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Outside. That's why I said it might not be visible with the inner fenders in place.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:06 pm

My 1990 built 5000 had no numbers of any kind any where. I was so paranoid about getting it registered that I stamped the MSO number on the frame rail. When I went to register it, the DMV clerk looked out the window and said "Oh, I see you drove it here. Here you go." He stamped the paper work and off I went. All that worry for nothing. Your state may vary, but in Oregon it was easy. If you don't find one, stamp one in for ease of mind.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrob22 Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm

That's kind of the same thought I had, make my own number. Apparently there is no number to be found anywhere on this thing nor is there a manufactures label. After I had restored my 69 Midget I went to register it and even though I had the original Vin tag and everything the DMV gave me a real fit . The clerk there said they didn't even have MG midgets in their book didn't know how to register it and that the screws were not the original screws holding the Vin tag on. I had to go to the Highway Patrol to have them okay it before it would even be registered. Quite the runaround.

Monrob22

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Been there, done the DMV thing.  My car was originally titled in New Jersey and had a NJ issued VIN plate.  The VIN number was one character short of what Louisiana would accept and I had quite the run around to get it straight.  A "special" State Trooper had to come and inspect the VIN plate to determine if it was "original". His only comment was that it looked to be as old as the rest of the car and gave the me  correct form.  It was held on with common pop rivets!!  I could have stuck any kind of decent looking plate on and I doubt he would have known, in spite of his "special" training.   I still had to make a trip to Baton Rouge to the main DMV headquarters to get a title in my name.

Don't even get me started about fabricating a totally new fame form scratch or combining a body and chassis from 2 different cars.  Been there done that, too.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 am

DMV gave me a real fit . The clerk there said they didn't even have MG midgets in their book didn't know how to register it and that the screws were not the original screws holding the Vin tag on.

OK........don't have MG midgets but somehow knew the screws were wrong. Not a lick of common sense.
My brother in law was told by DMV his boat TRAILER had to go through DEQ before he could register it. When he explained it does not have an engine, he was told "not our problem - you have to go to DEQ."
Seems it just a matter of luck and timing.

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:39 am

During the long drawn out process to title my T-bucket, which I fabricated from scratch in my shop, I was told "off the record" that the state deliberately makes the process difficult.  They don't really like the idea of people building their own cars and they figure that if it is hard to do, few people will stick it out to the end.  This came straight from a DMV employee, true story.  

In the end, after the stack of paper was tall enough, it was all about the money.  I paid the tax that they said I owed and got my title.

The main thing to remember is that you are at their mercy.  Keep your head, even though it can be a maddening process that will piss off a saint.  Be polite, even though you don't really want to.  I wanted to tell them that all this was BS, but knew that if I did, I would be the one to suffer, because in my state at least, there is no formal appeal process. Short of a law suit against the state, which you will probably lose. They hold all the cards and can find even the tiniest reason to refuse to title your car.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down