Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New windshield teaser shots

+2
Loren Tungesvick
Hotrod
6 posters

Go down

New windshield teaser shots Empty New windshield teaser shots

Post by Hotrod Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:05 am

I've been working on my new windshield design (and a lot of other things).  I really need to get my build thread updated, but wanted to share these pics, since a lot of folks seem interested in changing up the windshield.

First things first, this setup will not be to everyone's liking.  I have chosen to go with 100-6/early 3000 big Healey windshield posts.  Those cars did not have roll up windows or vent windows.  I tried to come up with a way to keep them, but decided to eliminate them for what I feel is a cleaner "roadster" look. This will turn most Sebring owners off and I know this, but it does not effect the way I will be using the car.  Removable hard (or soft) side curtains like the originals had will suit me just fine, since I will only have them in for long distances.  Most of my driving will be in roadster mode.

Second, I chose to retain the flat glass at this time.  Curved glass will be a future project, but I didn't want to get bogged down on that right now.  FWIW, I think the lighter, slender windshield posts and lighter windshield frame really clean the look of the car up and makes it look closer to what the original designers intended.  This is in spite of the flat glass.  The early Healeys had almost flat glass to begin with.  The later Healeys had a much more curved wrap around glass.  

So here are the pics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The new windshield is laid back at a flatter angle than the original CR part, too.

These pics are early in the development stage and the final setup will probably be a little different, but these are close.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

New windshield teaser shots Empty wind shield

Post by Loren Tungesvick Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:31 am

Looks like a big improvement. Air should go over it much easier, so will be more fun to drive.

Loren Tungesvick

Back to top Go down

New windshield teaser shots Empty Re: New windshield teaser shots

Post by David V. Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Man, that looks so much more streamlined than the stock item. I only ask because I know you're repainting everything, but do you intend to fuse/curve the transition between the top of the door and the dash (i.e. eliminate the window channels) to make it look like the early MK1 or 100-6 true roadsters? Might be more comfortable if you intend to do a lot of "elbow-out" driving.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Monrob22 Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Man that looks great!

May I ask where you sourced your fender vents from?

Monrob22

http://Monarchcustomcabinetry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks guys.  

David, sorry for the long time to reply.  After looking at the amount of body mods required to eliminate the extra hump that CR added, I decided not to go that route.  I do agree that it would look good, though.  It turns out that the flat area on top of the door will be perfect for a hard side curtain to sit on.  Also, I'm about 5'11" and don't find the "elbow out" rest to be uncomfortable.

FWIW - I'm currently on my 3rd start at a windshield frame.  I have tried all the easy stuff that I could think of.  Now I'm having to try it the hardest way I could think of.  It's a complicated part(parts actually) that has to not only function, but look good too.  After all, it will be pretty much the first thing folks see.  Looks like it will have to make a trip to the chrome shop when I'm done.  That's a 4 to 6 week process, at best.  If I'm going to drive this car any time next year, I've got to get this done PDQ.

Monrob, the vents were bought off of someone on the old Yahoo Sebring site.  They had totaled their Sebring without ever installing them.  Sorry, but I can't remember who it was.  I remember that they had a SB Ford and had just installed a supercharger not long before they crashed it.  Maybe someone on here will remember their name.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Hotrod wrote: I remember that they had a SB Ford and had just installed a supercharger not long before they crashed it.  Maybe someone on here will remember their name.

Sounds like Joe Yannone's first car. Red and white with a Paxton.

I wouldn't call the elbow out uncomfortable as is, though you do end up with a few marks imprinted into your forearm after a while Razz In your situation the side curtains make so much sense. No pesky window mechanisms. In case anyone complains: while elbow-out driving isn't usually recommended in most cars, in the Sebring it becomes pretty necessary due to a lack of room between steering wheel and door.

Looking forward to more updates!
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McQ Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:33 pm

That will look very nice!

Those vents are carried by Victoria British for the Healey 3000. fyi

McQ

McQ

Back to top Go down

New windshield teaser shots Empty Windshield Trim

Post by Glinder46 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 pm

I like what you have done. Much closer to the real Healy. Did you fashion your own posts or are they available from British Victoria? Also did you use the CR glass or are you having new glass made?

Thanks,

George LInder

Glinder46

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Those are original Healey posts.  I bought them a couple of years ago off of EBAY.  They were actually fairly cheap then, but I've noticed that they seem to have gotten expensive lately.

I'm currently building a new windshield frame, which is going very slowly.  It will have to have custom glass when finished.

I'll post up some more progress as soon as I get it all done.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinder46 Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 am

Looking forward to it.

Glinder46

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down