Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Axle Sebring MX

4 posters

Go down

Rear Axle Sebring MX Empty Rear Axle Sebring MX

Post by Brianb55 Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi All:

My car came with parts unknown. I've figured some things out, but need help with the rearend. I have a 350 First Fuel Injected motor, new Fast EZ EFI system to control it, corvette L98 heads; Comp cams 1.5" roller rockers; unknown cam or bore. The trans is a Chevy 700R4. I had the rear seals and brakes replaced this year and traced the seals back to Ford Rearend. The car is not as zippy as other cars I've had so the rearend is probably 2.73 or 3.08. The rear axles are 1.365" in diameter. I'm trying to figure out what rear end is in the car. It was built in 1990. It has a 5 bolt ford pattern on front and back so I know the rearend is not a Fox Body Mustang. They were all 4 bolt. The rear brakes are drum, so I doubt is was converted to 5 lug and replaced with drum brakes. Any idea on the most common axle used for these builds? The manual says Maverick, Comet, or Granada. But I've also seen 9" Fords had 1.365 to 1.50 axles so I'm confused. Any help much appreciated.

Brianb55

Back to top Go down

Rear Axle Sebring MX Empty Re: Rear Axle Sebring MX

Post by Duehew Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Try this out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by Brianb55 Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks. Low 3's

Brianb55

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 pm

You are welcome. There are many different calculators on that web site. Very useful.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by Brianb55 Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Should have given the criteria:
MPH: 70
Tire: 28 diameter
RPM: 1850
4th Gear: .696:1

Brianb55

Back to top Go down

Post by Brianb55 Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 pm

How do you get your car picture on the post? I just sent in my Registry info and included a photo with my form, but not sure that's the right way to do it.

Brian

Brianb55

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 pm

From a posting a while ago

Healey Replicas Posting Pictures

Joe I think what is confusing a lot of people is that unlike the yahoo group you can post images directly into your messages here. There's no need for my approval, you just use the insert image button right in this chat as I described in my previous message.

Think of the gallery as a sort of add-on or showcase. I just use it to post up a few nice images of each member's car. You don't need to use the gallery at all to put images in your messages.

I'll need to get around to posting a good tutorial on how to do this.

For now try this as a test:

1) Write a response to this message

2)In the bar right above where you are writing there are a bunch of icons such as font, font colour, etc. Find the "host an image" button in that bar (it looks like a little square with a floppy disc/save button over it, blue and green)

3) click it, this will open up an options box

4)click browse, you can then select an image from your computer

5)click the big blue "host it" button and wait a few seconds

6)A box with three hyperlinks will appear. Copy the one where it says "image" next to it and paste it into the message you are writing me.

7) Success

Sounds a bit complicated but it's quite quick once you have the hang of it. I wish I could make it simpler but unfortunately that is a part of the forum mechanics which I can't change. We are already pretty fortunate to have direct hosting, many forums do not. Jimbo has been messaging me about the same issue so I will really look into making a tutorial.

I await your response to see how it went

Cheers!

David

David V.
Admin

View user profile Send private message Send e-mail [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for helping out Duane! Smile  I'm in the middle of my move to Scottland and internet access is limited at the moment.

David
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Anytime David. Hope your move is an easy and pleasurable one.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Rear Axle Sebring MX Empty ratio

Post by Loren Tungesvick Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 pm

I came up with 3.15:1 which does not exist. Think you must be in converter lockup at 70mph. My guess is 3.25.
2.79, 3.0, 3.25, 3.55, 3.8, and 4.11 are the factory gears for 8" ford.

Loren Tungesvick

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 pm

I think the calculators will get you close. Mine came up as 3.46:1 which according to Fords rear axle charts is probably a 3.45:1. I do not have a digital tach or speedometer so I think my readings are pretty close. What I did was take a picture of the gauges while driving (not a good move, should have had my wife take the pictures) and then do the calculations later.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by Duehew Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:44 pm

PM me with your email address and I will send you "MX builders forum discussions" from 2006 that I have saved as a DOC file. There might be some info you can glean from it.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down