Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It ain't Webers, but......

5 posters

Go down

It ain't Webers, but...... Empty It ain't Webers, but......

Post by Hotrod Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:30 am

Gotta lot going on right now, but I had to post this.

I've never really liked the look of the LS engine that I'm using in my build (or LS engines in general for that matter).  I appreciate the technical stuff inside and they make lots of easy horsepower, but they are pretty ugly on the outside which is why even the factory usually puts covers on them.  I've been pondering for some time how to make mine look more appealing to the old school traditionalist in me.

When this setup came up for sale on another website, I just couldn't resist.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's a dual plane intake so low end torque should still be good.  It has port fuel injectors so I also get to keep the sequential injection.

The throttle bodies are billet with progressive secondary linkage like a traditional 4 barrel.

The engine looked a ton better the instant I dropped it on.  Looks like something that should be on a 60's era Cobraesque sports car.

The only downside is that the throttle bodies flow an insane amount of air for a 350 CI engine.  1000 cfm each!  I'll most likely have to limit airflow to make it practical for everyday driving and I'll most likely go with a progressive linkage between the Tb's like a traditional 2x4 carb setup, too.  It's set up for simultaneous opening now and that will most likely make the throttle response a little touchy.

I'm thinking about converting a set of finned big block Chevy valve covers into coil covers to hide the ugly exposed coils.  Add a big oval dual quad air cleaner and it should look reasonably traditional.

Like I say, it ain't a gorgeous set of Webers, but it should "show" well and have all the performance I can handle.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

It ain't Webers, but...... Empty Re: It ain't Webers, but......

Post by Duehew Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:13 pm

That looks Great, much better than a bunch of snakes crawling all over each other. Good job.
Duehew
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 am

That title though lol!
It ain't the headache of Webers either.... and looks fantastic!
We can tell who makes the more rational decisions around here Razz
Glad to hear from you

David
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm

You folks are flat out incredible !
JimboQuick

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Post by Ddcimino Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:43 pm

I have to tell you the webers were a real pain, the Hilborn stack EFI is off the chart with performance. Down right scares me. I changed my rear gears to 3.0 so I could cruise down the highway but now if I bring it off the wheel speed gets nuts and it skates all over. I would like to put a four link in, dose anybody know a kit that fits my 5000.
Dave C
Ddcimino
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 pm

That is the reason I completely redesigned the suspension on my 5000.  The rear suspension, like the front, is Mustang II.  The MII was essentially a Pinto with a different body.  Needless to say, the original Ford engineers never dreamed that it would have to deal with lots of horsepower.  Mine had a nasty habit of trying to change lanes if you nailed it hard.  Having said all that doesn't help you one bit, but I can offer a few suggestions that might help.

First, the MII rear springs have very large, soft rubber bushings in the front of the springs.  There is no way those bushings will not distort under a lot of power and this may cause the rearend to move around.  This is most likely the cause of my particular problem.  Here is a list of things that may help.  Key word here is "may".

Replace the leaf spring bushings with polyurethane parts if they are available.  Check with Energy Suspension or Prothane.

If the poly parts can't be had, then you could get some aluminum bushings machined than will accept smaller poly bushings from another application.  This would be the way I would go since even poly bushings as large as the MII parts will still distort some.

You could also check with a leaf spring supplier like Eaton Detroit Spring to see if you can get some new leaf springs made with smaller spring eyes that use smaller bushings(preferably poly).  This would probably be the best solution, but also the most expensive.  You could also get some "half leaves" installed in the forward section of the leaf spring pack.  This will stiffen the front portion of the spring and help keep "spring wrap" down under hard acceleration.  Many of the old Mopar muscle cars from the 60's were set up this way from the factory.

You also need to search the net for "Caltrac" traction bars.  These are considered the best type of traction bar for leaf spring suspension.  Many very fast drag cars use this style of bar.  They use a linkage setup to apply reverse torque to the forward portion of the spring pack.  As the spring distorts under acceleration, the linkage uses the torque of the rearend trying to move to apply force the upper portion of the spring.  I doubt that a bolt on kit would be available for the MII rear suspension, but there may be some kind of universal kit available.  This was the direction I was going before I started down the path I'm on now. But, nothing will help if you don't improve the spring situation.

To answer the original question.  You would need to by a universal 4 link kit since it's very doubtful that anything bolt on would be available for the MII suspension.  It could be done, but it will most likely be a custom thing.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Ddcimino Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm

thank you!
Ddcimino
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:54 am

I just realized that I never updated this thread to show the air cleaner.  This took a bunch of mods to actually fit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My plan is to do this in black wrinkle paint with polished fins.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum