Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

door handles and latches

4 posters

Go down

door handles and latches Empty door handles and latches

Post by Guest Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

Curious, I looked through some of the pictures in the gallery of cars built and like the door handles which are flush with the door. Can anyone advise where they sourced them? The manual mentions doner car handles such as Mustang II or Pinto, but those handles in the pictures, don't look from a Mustang II.

Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

door handles and latches Empty Re: door handles and latches

Post by AH1960 Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm

my sebring is an 1987. it has chevette outside door handles.
AH1960
AH1960

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 am

The Chevette handles are available from the aftermarket brand new.  Several GM cars of the 80's used those same handles.  Any decent parts house that sells the "Help" line of replacement parts should be able to look them up.  I may still have the package from the ones I bought.  I'll see if I can lay my hands on them and post the part number.

The latches are supposed to be Chevette also. These are most likely shared by other 80's GM cars also, but I don't know which ones. I would make a guess that any small to mid size GM car would use them or something very similar.

You might want to look at the "Bear Jaw" door latches that are sold to the street rod market. They are available from several suppliers and function very similar to the GM latches. They are all metal as opposed to the partially plastic Chevette latches in my car. The Bear Jaws will be readily available long after the Chevettes have all pretty much disappeared.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

door handles and latches Empty door handle

Post by Jerry & Lisa Mills Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:01 am

the inside, outside handles and latches were from the front doors only of the
4 door chevette. the reason for front only is they had the locks. not sure if rears
would work or you care about locks. also window regulators are chevette.
if you're starting from scratch, I would second HotRods suggestion and get
the aftermarket Bear Jar.

Jerry

Jerry & Lisa Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am

Great thanks for the info

Back to top Go down

Post by Tricky1 Tue May 02, 2017 2:02 pm

They are Chevette door handles. My driver side handle broke last year and I ordered brand new ones from Summit. Fit like a glove and seem to be good quality in both finish and manufacture.

Rick
Tricky1
Tricky1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down