Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Hi! new guy here

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi! new guy here

Post by economan on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 pm

H'lo!
New here, just received a what i believe to be a canadian version classic roadsters sebring in my shop. I am beginning to embark upon a total refinish and freshening up of all interior components. The serial that i found on the drivers side kick panel reads
                                       SASK VEH SK40
The car is coming apart nicely, overall appears to be in absolutely stellar condition with no damage or spider cracking anywhere on the fibreglass, however the red gelcoat fades from pink on the front to red on the back, no doubt due to being stored in a garage with windows. The red vinyl interior components and inside of top vinyl are covered with a thick black coating of mold so will all have to be completely replaced/recovered (likely with a light sand colored material throughout) I would also like to go with a sand colored canvas top.
It is what i believe to be a 302 eng. with 4 speed I spent the weekend going over the driveline and wiring and after fixing a few minor ground issues got it running and it runs exceptionally well, it started without even a puff of smoke after being parked 4 years ago.
Annnnyyyhoows...
reason i have come on here is to find out about removing the chrome beading and top bow pivots on the rear quarters. is there enough flexability to bend the trunk liner enough to get it out of the trunk opening? orrrr... Is the most common way to gain access inside of the rear quarters  to remove the rear fender linings which would appearently involve cutting some form of bead/seam sealer between the outer quarter and the liner?
both bumpers also require replacement and i would also like to replace the grille surround with a chrome one and the windshield reveal mouldings with chrome ones as well.
Hope to hear back soon
thanx in advance
Mikie.....near ottawa canada

economan

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi! new guy here

Post by David V. on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Hey Mikie! Welcome to the forum! I happen to be Canadian as well and even grew up around Ottawa. If you want to go for a two-Sebring drive/cruise eventually let me know! Im in Montreal at the moment but have business in Ottawa pretty often. For your gelcoat, it depends if you are repainting or not but you could probably avoid the repaint by using the 3 stages (Oxidation remover, Polish, Wax) of Meguiares Boat & RV products (blue bottles). Canadian Tire always stocks the oxidation remover and polish but I had to go to an RV store to find the compatible wax.

For the chrome beading, I'm not sure, as I have never taken it out, I would assume fender liners are a safer bet than the trunk liner.

The bumpers are stock items, but for an MG TD, not a Healey, last I checked they weren't cheap but overall not too bad.

For the grill surround you have three options: Finding someone on here that is willing to sell you a chrome one (same goes for the windshield caps), getting yours chrome plated at a specialty shop, or ordering a solid aluminum grill surround from Sebring International to replace your plastic one. However, not that the Sebring International surrounds are a bit less tall than our CR ones which leaves a gap at the bottom of your grill opening, and also they are quite expensive as is the shipping for such a large item from Britain.

Best of luck with the car! May I ask where you bought it from? I have never seen any other Sebrings near Ottawa. Cheers from a fellow Canadian!

David V. - AHR Forum Administrator
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by economan on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:47 am

Hi David!
thanx for the info, It's not my car but in my shop for a client, who also happens to be my next door neighbour, but i'm sure that after completion borrowing to take it out for a tour with you may be a a distinct possibility.
I do 1 or 2 vehicles a year in my shop, quite an eclectic mix has gone thru in the last 10 years. Recent examples include 48 merc coupe 37 chev p/u, 61 chrysler saratoga, 47 dodge p/u, 58 gmc, 70 fiat spyder, 70 sedan de ville, 58 lincoln capri, 60 pontiac laurentien, 64 falcon, 63 merc integral p/u as well as my own my own 64 econoline p/u and 58 mercury panel truck. and immediately after the sebring another fiat spyder is on the way.
I have bounced between an auto body repairer and auto detailer for the past 30 years, usually running the detailing shop thru the summer months and working the body shop thru the winter months when the detailing slows down. So i know the gelcoat is unfortunately beyond bringing back to life, even with a really good polishing session it'd most likely fade back to pink in a few months even if kept completely indoors, have seen this too many times. and besides nuthin' looks better than a freshly laid down coat of chrysler viper red. Very Happy I don't have much of a history on the car, but something was said about Port Perry, so perhaps it's originally from that area,
I currently have an email in to Classic Reproductions canada (since sunday)and am awaiting a reply about the items required, have not yet heard back but am assuming it is because of the holidays, likely taking some time off.
So nice meeting you Dave I'm sure I'll be back with more ?s in the near future

have a good xmas an' all that jazz
Mikie

economan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:41 pm

It's nice to know that there is yet another Sebring MX fan in Canada ... but we won't talk hockey ... just in case we somehow put a jinx on our Cd'n Juniors !!
Jimbo

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Curious about your reference to: Classic Reproductions Canada ... no success finding on Google ... I wonder if they are another iteration from Bob Wrightson, Warman, Saskatchewan of a few years back ?
Jimbo

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Post by economan on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 pm

classicroadsters.ca is the address and it appears to be Bob Wightman.
Both myself & owner of car have emailed a few weeks back and never got a response, the website appears to be current with a date of 2014 on it.
some parts, doors grille surround, rockers, have a tag glassed into em' that say quality classic reproductions atikokan ontario.

economan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stever on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Quality Classic Reproductions was a Canadian agent for Classic Roadsters of Fargo N. Dakota. They were in business during the early 90's. I bought my kit from CR in Fargo and it was shipped through QCR in Atikokan to my home in southern Ontario during 1990.
Stever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum