Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austin Healey trunk lid badge

3 posters

Go down

Austin Healey trunk lid badge Empty Austin Healey trunk lid badge

Post by dannymax Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 am

I am attaching the bonnet, trunk and front trim pieces and found the mounting posts for the Austin Healey trunk lid badge do not come thru the lid far enough to be able to mount the small clips.  

Has anyone run into this?

dannymax

Back to top Go down

Austin Healey trunk lid badge Empty Re: Austin Healey trunk lid badge

Post by David V. Sat May 04, 2019 10:52 am

Mine is just glued with 3M double-sided weatherstrip tape cut to shape. No need for clips, and it's what they use for badges on most mass production vehicles (Mercedes, BMW etc). Even Aston Martin doesn't screw their badges on.
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dannymax Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks David.  That would be the way to go for sure but I'm 80% of the way thru attaching the post/quick nut type before finding the shorter posts on the trunk badge.

Only thing that comes to mind is to drill a hole down the center of the posts and screw in a short, small diameter screw - splitting the end of the post and creating a sort of Molly screw type attachment.

Then spray paint it black so nobody notices! Shocked

dannymax

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sat May 04, 2019 1:25 pm

That could work too if the posts are thick enough. How about using a tap to make threads on the posts and matching them to what's called a "screw-post" (basically a bolt with a hole down the middle and nut threads). I'm quite fond of them, they hold the heat shields onto my side-pipes. Requires a slightly bigger hole through the fiberglass. They usually have a normal head for a flat or phillips screwdriver.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dannymax Sat May 04, 2019 4:54 pm

I kinda did the same thing the ghetto way.  Cut the threads with a sheet metal screw then ground the screw tip down to the proper length. The posts are really soft metal and expanded a bit snugging them in the fiberglass and the screw heads shouldered nicely to make them reasonably secure.  A bunch of screwing around but well worth it, those little bits of trim detail bring the car to life visually.

Almost have to wonder if the original detail designers at Austin Healey maybe knew what they were doing.

Thanks for the help.

dannymax

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Glad it worked out!

You're right, I'd originally considered not running the badges since it's an homage, not the real deal, but it just doesn't look quite right without them.
David V.
David V.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by colorado_df Sat May 25, 2019 10:47 am

It was years ago when I mounted mine. Looking at it from inside the lid, it appears I drilled holes for the pins and then glued everything in place and touched it up with black spray paint. It's held quite well.
colorado_df
colorado_df

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down