Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Wind Screen or Deflector, Anyone here use one?

Go down

Wind Screen or Deflector, Anyone here use one?

Post by Ramjam72 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Wife wants me to get one for our Sebring.

Ramjam72

Back to top Go down

Deflector

Post by DrJ on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 am

I did some experimenting with this. Initially I was going to fabricate up a frame and line it with heavy gauge black window/door screening but wondered if I could see through it with the rear view mirror. I had some 3/8" lexan in the shop. That was rigid enough to install with a couple of 6" pieces of angled aluminum bolted down through the cargo shelf, reinforced with a span of aluminum angle running the width of the shelf from below. The wife and I then went on a 1000 mile driving holiday in the mountains. I would have to say that it made a noticeable improvement to both wind and noise. I should mention that mine has under car exhaust. So although not the most elegant of designs it was a proof of concept and a nicer design would be the next set in the process.

Earlier on a forum member had retrofitted a screen from a VW I think. Twas long ago but he enjoyed the results as well.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Wind Screen or Deflector, Anyone here use one?

Post by Ramjam72 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about using some lexan attached to the roll bars with velcro straps.
Since I already have the materials would not be out any additional money.
I looked at a company called "windblox" and even messaged the owner about making me one for my Sebring, but he was not interested. In fairness, his company makes windscreens for high production Convertibles and Roadsters.

Ramjam72

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Just some thoughts:

If I was to make one, I'd start with a cardboard template that I'd transfer to polycarbonate (lexan) or plexiglass (acrylic). Keep in mind that plexi can crack with the vibration if too thin, but will stay crystal clear. Lexan, on the other hand, will be more flexible, so won't crack, but may move around more when being buffeted. Lexan also yellows over time unless treated with specific products like the Kleers brand ones.

If using plexi, I'd run the sheet behind my roll-bars and attach it with some sort of tube clamp riveted/bolted to the plexi.

If using Lexan I'd have the sheet fit just between the roll-bars, and I'd wrap the edges with vinyl colour-matched to my interior (using high-grade upholstery glue), and fit brass eyelets at regular intervals to run cord or glorified tie-wraps to the roll-bars.
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramjam72 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks David. I'm probably going with the Plexiglass attached behind the roll bars. I think this set up will be more efficient in deflecting air.

Ramjam72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down