Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Hydraulic Release Bearings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hydraulic Release Bearings

Post by DrJ on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 pm

I hope to chronicle my building/modifying adventures soon but there is a decision I need to make at the moment. Long story short I am grafting a WC T5 from a 91 Camaro to a 82 GMC truck 350. During this process I determined the scatter shield that came with the car to be out of spec. (about 44 thousands out) I picked up a new aftermarket aluminum bell housing (out by 4 thousands so it is within spec) from Classic Industries but there is no welded bracket to accept the hydraulic clutch slave. I pondered fabricating one up but turns out this would be a bit of a project. A possible solution is to utilize a hydraulic release bearing from RAM. This would eliminate the slave, clutch fork and pivot ball. Has anyone utilized these and can you give any guidance on their reliability?

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Hydraulic Release Bearings

Post by David V. on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 am

I am very interested in this too, since at the moment my setup calls for the hydraulic cylinder to push on a mechanical ball pivot clutch fork/release bearing making for a pretty stiff clutch. If I find anything I will post it here.

David
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic bearing

Post by DrJ on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

Yeh David my pedal was hard as well. I am only running about 200HP so I installed a new LUK 10.5" clutch (previous one was B&B 12"). This should help a bit. I ordered a RAM 798-78125HD bearing and a AN-3 hose. The RAM site shows their regular bearing next to their HD (heavy duty) unit, the latter being considerably beefier for a small increase in price. Unit requires a minimum 3/4" master cyl. bore with min. 1.4" stroke so I ordered a Wilwood 260-6089 to replace my current one. One project creates another in this hobby. I still need to weld up a custom transverse transmission support for my T5 which is designed to be installed clocked over 17 degrees, my new BH is drilled for the traditional 12:00 install. Also need to create a opening for the shifter as it is several inches aft of the existing Muncie opening. At that point perhaps I can worry the transmission back into place. From there a modified driveshaft to accommodate then longer T5 and I'll know where I am at. Perhaps back to the curved windshield project or the custom folding top.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry Crist on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:21 pm

You should be able to get a bracket for the slave that bolts up to the bell housing bolts then install a push slave.

Try these places,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Terry Crist

Back to top Go down

Release Bearing

Post by DrJ on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 am

Well my RAM bearing arrived and no joy. Before getting into the installation I crawled under the car, installed the BH and measured the distance from the pressure plate fingers to the transmission mounting surface of the BH. Then I slid the bearing onto the input shaft of the T5 and measured from the transmission face to the face of the bearing. That number exceeds the available space in the BH by 9/16"...no good. If I were to shim the T5 back enough to clear the fingers with the specified gap the tip of the input shaft would only engage the pilot bearing by 1/8"...no good. So back it all goes to Summit. Terry mentioned a couple of sites that sell bolt on brackets for a slave cylinder but they seem to service Fords where I have Chevy. I did find a company called Novak that makes V8 conversion kits for Jeeps. It would appear that every V8 made in Detroit has been crammed into a Jeep at one time or another. They have a bracket, slave cylinder, fork combo that fits the stamping number on my BH for half what I was into the RAM for so it is on order. Gets me back to a slave verse the hyd. bearing which gives me more confidence. A BH is an ugly environment for a hyd. piston. The only issue with the Novak slave is that it is proprietary with regard to its mounting process so if it fails I can not go to Nappa for a new one. Guess I could modify their bracket but that's a future issue. Just like to get the gear box back into the thing for now.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top