Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

hard top finishing

Go down

hard top finishing

Post by Ddcimino on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Dose anyone know what a finished hardtop looks like on the inside? What seals are used? I have a shell and don't know where to start to finish it.
Dave C
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

Re: hard top finishing

Post by David V. on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:37 pm

How much of a hurry are you in? Razz
I'm currently working on an OCD re-build of my hardtop, but I won't be able to post pictures for a while (like next summer ish).

If it's anything to go off of. When I got mine it had had a vinyl tacked to the inside with upholstery glue, but that ended up peeling off. I'm planning to make a full headliner.

Rear window is really simple, just a thin piece of acrylic shoved in there (will likely improve that too). Rubber seal around it is standard fare for classic car/truck rear windows.

Seals are a joke. There's a standard one around the back that just cushions it against the body's rear deck (similar to the one around the hood opening). Another two pieces of this go around where the side window openings are to theoretically seal the glass against the top. There was also just a big block of foam cushioning (sealing????) the front of the top against the windshield (seen here in shreds). Not sure if it was supposed to come with anything else.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The easiest way to do interior finishing would be to either paint it or "flock" it using velvet fibers.
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ddcimino on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks Dave.
Ddcimino

Back to top Go down

Post by akrmar on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Dave,

I also beginning the process of rebuilding a hardtop. When I purchased my car nearly three years ago, it came with a hardtop. I've spent the past couple years doing what kit owners do, working on engine, suspension, electric system, replacing the top, etc. The hardtop is one of my next projects. Like yours, the headliner is shredded, the rubber is shot, the rear plastic needs replaced. The sad thing is I doubt that it was ever used. The headliner I will source out. The rest I may attempt to find the pars to do. Keep us posted on your progress.

akrmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 pm

My hardtop appears to have a putty colored upholstered insert for a headliner. I'm not sure if this was an option from CR, or something that was done by an independent trimmer.

I'll try to get a picture or two up asap.

The seals on my top are just as David described earlier. They appear to be the same seals used on the trunk lid and hood.

The hardware that holds it on the car is almost non-existent and consists of a couple of bolts through the top and body at the rear. The windshield on my car didn't really have anything holding the top down, so I have never used the car with the top on.
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyC on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Doe's anyone know what donor car is used for the chrome headlight rings around the headlight on a Saxon Austin Healey 3000 Replica? Thanks, Tony

TonyC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum