Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

wiper arms

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wiper arms

Post by AH1960 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:46 pm

does anyone know what wiper arms fit. in the online manual it gives part number 54-200. I am unable to cross reference as to what it came off of. I have tried beetle arms but they are too long. I found the blades that the manual calls for. thank you in advance for any help.

AH1960

Back to top Go down

Wipers

Post by DrJ on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:29 am

Just happens I tackled that issue recently and am about to do the same for another in our group. With ours the issue was that as the arms traveled through their range of motion, the blades would slam into the bottom of the windshield frame. That as well as their indexing being off so that they parked funky. To do what I did takes a little modification. I started with ANCO 41-01 arms (Summit or Amazon). They are adjustable both in length and blade angle, the kind of flexibility you need to get things correct. For blades I used ANCO 20-09, 9" blades designed for flat glass and feature the "dead locker" blade-arm attachment required by the arms.

So first up the female attachment cup of the arms that slide over the wiper actuator splines will not match up. I first removed the arms from the car and removed the springs. Carefully grind off the head of the pin that attaches that cup to the arm and tap it out so that the it separates from it. Do the same on the new ANCO arms. Now you graft the OEM cup to the new arms, I used a stainless steel ring shanked nail as a new pin cut to length so that about 1/4" extended past the arm. I purchased a bag of appropriately sized wheel collars from Amazon (Great Planes 1/16", 1/8" plated wheel collars-(12) for 8 bucks) to secure the pins. Put the springs back on and that's done

Now the new arms fit the OEM splines. The shortest adjustment on the arms were still a tad to long but no worries. They arms easily separate into two pieces and I trimmed of 1/4" or so and reassembled it.

The 9" blades were too long as well and they had to be modified down to 6" to work. That involved cutting the blade bracket down on both ends without disrupting the articulating parts (this will all be obvious when you have the blades in your hands). I left a little metal extending past where I trimmed off the rubber with a knife so that by bending the tabs up I would lock the rubber in place.

From there it's about adjusting the blade angle (which I suggest doing without the springs attached and by spraying a mild soapy solution on the glass) to get the indexing correct. Use tape on the cowl and on the attachment cup and draw a index line with a sharpie when you have it right. Reinstall the springs, the arms and your done.

Now assembled I have full sweep of the blades with no interference with the windshield frame and they both park nice and neat parallel to the bottom og the frame as they should. Yes it's only 6" blades but were stuck with windshields that are challenged vertically.

Going to take care of another local members car and then concentrate on installing a washer system.

Sounds like a lot but you can message me, I'll give you my phone number and talk you threw it.

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Re: wiper arms

Post by AH1960 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:32 pm

thank you. my car sat unfinished for 28 year before I traded for it, so parts were lost over the years. this forum has been great at helping me to get it on the road to enjoy.

AH1960

Back to top Go down

Post by AH1960 Yesterday at 2:28 pm

the wiper arms worked with some modification as described by DrJ. as for the blades I found 6" blades from New Port engineering (part number NE13006) these worked with no modification. Now I have wipers that work.

AH1960

Back to top Go down

wipers

Post by DrJ Yesterday at 2:44 pm

Glad it worked out. Wanted a spare pair of blades, will get a set from New Port. Thanks

DrJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top