Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

gel coat clouding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

gel coat clouding

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 pm

i have a clouding discoloration in the gelcoat on my sebring. what causes this and how best to remove? thanks

Back to top Go down

Re: gel coat clouding

Post by David V. on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 am

The clouding is a natural occurrence, it seems to be caused by exposure to UV radiation. Fiberglass boat products seem to be the best way of removing it. I personally use Meguiars Boat/RV 3 stage (oxidation remover, Polish, Wax) comes in blue bottles and works very well.
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:26 pm

At our recent, annual "Classics against Cancer" show, I purchased the Meguiars Marine 3 stage products {haven't tried yet ...}. I've used Mothers 'Reflections' & Mothers 'Reflection Top Coat' for the past two ~ three years, not knowing that there was a specific 'Marine' product.
Jimbo

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Gel coat clouding

Post by Duehew on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:43 pm

We had the same problem with our car. I tried several different boat compounds and none worked. I picked up the Meguires 3 step process and went through it 3 times last summer using an orbital buffer with not much luck. We ended up painting it last winter.

Duane
Duehew

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakley Gentry on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Does anyone know where to purchase matching red gel coat for my Sebring?

Oakley Gentry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimboquick on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:38 pm

For the last 18 months, I've been using the "Marine 3 step" process by Meguires ... with good results. However, our red gel-coat finish is usually kept under cover in a garage for most of the 'cruzin' season , away from u-v rays. Can't hurt ... might help.
JimboQuick

Jimboquick

Back to top Go down

Gel Coat Clouding

Post by jdmmgb on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:29 pm

I have had good success using 3M Marine Finesse-it II compound.  I use the small buffing pad from a 3m headlight restoration kit because the pads used for boats are too large to fit a lot of the body contours of an MX.  If the gelcoat is heavily oxidized you may need a more agressive compound to start with, check the 3M website.  Lastly, it's importand to wax the gelcoat after you finish the polishing with a good boat wax (some car waxes have additives that are not good for the more porous surface of gelcoat).  The wax will slow down the oxidation.   I now live in South Carolina, put 5,000 miles a year on my MX and do the compound/wax process once/year.

1990 Sebring MX
5.0 Ford Racing Crate Engine
jdmmgb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top