Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone near Detroit?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone near Detroit? Empty Anyone near Detroit?

Post by bwdz Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Anyone within within a few hours of Detroit that has a Sebring MX by Classic Roadsters? I, like many of you that I read about, purchased an old kit that is not finished and missing some pieces from the years of moving it around. I will be taking delivery of my kit next weekend but would love an opportunity to take a look at a finished or unfinished one in person. I live in Northville MI (Detroit suburb) and am down the street from Vanguard Motors who always has several Cobra replicas in stock but I have yet to see a CR cobra or a Sebring in person. Just looking to get a look and some photographs of certain areas of the kit so that it can cut down on my fabricating time. I will take lots of pics during my assembly process for those that have not put their kits together. Oh, and if you need help with your car I have been wrenching for 25 years and even worked in a performance shop running a flow bench etc...Thanks, Bart

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Detroit? Empty Re: Anyone near Detroit?

Post by Kozmoz318 Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:24 am

Bart,  i have a sebring mx by classic roadsters.  I purchased the car already built.  The car was born in 1989 in Ill.  It is now living in Sebastian Florida.  I have gathered much information about it. And am in the process of rebuilding the 327 that came with the car.  1964 vintage,  just like me.  If your kit has not yet been wired or has a scalped wire harness.  My first suggestion would be to get a modern harness.  21-24 circuit.  Make sure you get one with labled and color coded wire.  That was one of the first things i had to do. You may ask for pictures of specific parts of my car to help with your completion. And i have a few things laying about.

Last edited by Kozmoz318 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Incomplete)
Kozmoz318
Kozmoz318

Back to top Go down

Post by bwdz Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:58 am

The car I purchased is incomplete and unassembled. The chassis was done and professionally. It has a very nice 4 link rear end set up in the rear with the Mustang 2 suspension in the front with aftermarket tubular a-arms and a manual steering rack. The body is there, the holes for the bumper were drilled but even the headlight holes have not been touched yet. I have no wire harness what so ever. I am also missing some parts (although not sure how many as it is not home yet) The major components that I could not find in the place I bought it would be the metal cowl bar and the windshield frame. I found what appears to be the upper portion of the cowl bar (the metal bar under the dash) but could not locate the uprights that go to the frame. I have the windshield (cracked bad) but did not see the frame for it yet. I will be asking for some pictures, dimensions and guidance in fabricating the missing pieces and thank you in advance. I hope that when I sort through all the boxes I will find some of these but I am prepared for the worst.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozmoz318 Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:24 am

Glad to help if i can. Do you have the build manual yet?
Kozmoz318
Kozmoz318

Back to top Go down

Post by bwdz Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:29 am

I have downloaded the manual, it is not very well written in my opinion and really states the obvious and falls short where it needed to be specific. As an example, on the body mounting, it mentions grommets over the bumper holes in the front but is that the only way the front end is attached in the front, what size are these grommets as I am not sure if they are in any of the boxes that came. I also for some reason cannot see the door hinge installation in the pictures, they are not very clear and I am not sure that I have the hinges either so a pic would be great for fabricating some. Also, the windshield section does not show up, just some blank pages for section 6 which is the windshield. I am certain I am missing some of the pieces possibly all of them and would love to see what they should look like and how it attaches to the car.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by gkerbow Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Bart,

I am not near Detroit but I too have purchased an unfinished kit.  My kit is a Saxon with the Chevette suspension and a Ford V6 installed.  I am also missing some parts.  Perhaps we can share some photos and information that will fill in some gaps.  I am missing the windshield frame also but have sourced an extrusion that is very similar to the original.  I need a template of the glass to help me with the fabrication.  Maybe you could trace yours for me.  My kit has the cowl brace assembly installed.  I can get you some dimensions and photos if that helps (the Saxon may be different).  I also got pricing from Sebring International for windshield and vent window parts as well as the grille.  Let me know how I can help.

Greg

gkerbow

Back to top Go down

Post by bwdz Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:34 pm

I should have the car in my possession this weekend or early next week. The glass is broken pretty bad but is still wrapped in the cardboard that it came in so should be traceable. Since it is a flat piece there is a glass replacement company that will cut it out for me, as a matter of fact the piece they will cut it from will likely yield 2 of them since it is so little. I am down the road from a hot rod dealer that always has several Cobras in stock from FFR, Backdraft, Superformance and occasionally some others so I have been stopping by there and once I have the car I can take measurements and see if any parts (like windshield) for those cars would fit ours.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozmoz318 Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:33 am

On the body mounting, the very front of the car will sil on the two large aluminum bumper mounting posts. But there should be no real pressure there. 90 percent of the front end support will take place from the firewall end. Be very carefull during this gluning step to adhere to the geometry outlined in the manual. Set everything before gluing if you can. Mine was and still is out of line at the drivers side. My door hinges are large metal hinges. My car is now in my friends garage. We are freshening up the engine and bringing it all up to date from 30 years ago. I will try to get you a few pictures within a week or so. My suggestion to you would be to lay all of the parts oul. Get them where you can see them all. And survey what you have.
Kozmoz318
Kozmoz318

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozmoz318 Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:41 am

Also, download the other manual. I have them both, i put them on a usb drive and took them to a print shop. Two very informative items.
Kozmoz318
Kozmoz318

Back to top Go down

Post by bwdz Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:07 pm

I am also about 2 miles from American Speed who makes the 33 roadster steel body replicas. I'll stop in this week and see how they make theirs or if something they have would work. BTW here is a picture of it now that she's home.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The chassis has 4 link rear suspension with a narrowed Ford 8 inch with disc brakes. The front suspension is tubular a-arm with a manual steering rack. I have all coilovers with several different rate front springs for them.

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by bwdz Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:09 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

bwdz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrod Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Looks like you got good bones! Should make for a nice build.
Hotrod
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Everyone please note that for logistic purposes I have split this discussion into two parts: This discussion of member location and generalities, and a second thread about windshield and cowl issues, which can now be found in the "tech questions section".

Have a great day!

David
David V.
David V.
Admin

https://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum