Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Gas mileage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gas mileage

Post by Joe Yannone on Sun May 31, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi all,
My Sebring has a Chevy 350 with Holley carb and I am getting terrible gas mileage, 11-12 MPG.  I have checked floats, jets are .065", I tuned it for highest possible vacuum and checked accelerator pump adjustment, all seems normal.  

Also I have what I believe is a Chevette Gas tank and the old lines for the charcoal canister are plugged and the tank does build up some pressure, causing a gas smell. Has anyone ever installeed a canister on their tank?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Joe Yannone

Back to top Go down

Re: Gas mileage

Post by Hotrod on Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the canister has to be connected to the engine through a complicated plumbing system so that the vapors can be sucked out and burned.  You could switch to a vented cap and leaved the lines plugged, or you could route one of the smaller tank lines to a high point and use it as a vent.  I used this scheme on a street rod.  The main problem with this is that if pressure builds in a full tank, raw fuel can be pushed up the line and drip out. The vented cap would be a better solution if one is available.

As far as mileage is concerned, I can't help you with the Holley, but my car got 20 mpg with a Quadrajet and a 5 speed.

Mike
Hotrod

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top