Austin-Healey Replica Forum
You are not currently logged in and therefore do not have permission to view the full site. Please log-in or register. Not registered yet? Become a member of the Austin-Healey replica forum to access all of its features and disable advertisements.

Chassis color question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chassis color question

Post by RustyNCA on Thu May 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Just wondering what chassis color you all used?

How much of the frame shows on the finished car?

Thanks for the help
RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Back to top Go down

Re: Chassis color question

Post by David V. on Thu May 14, 2015 5:44 pm

From the outside you will not see any of the frame, you will see some pretty much only in the engine bay. Most people on here have black powdercoat. As for me, the galvanization treatment means no other product is needed, it gives it a light shiny aluminum color when new and over time oxidizes to the colour of steel and stays that way. (FYI molten zinc galvanization is the same process used to weatherproof steel telephone and light poles as well as those tall electrical wire supporting towers).

It would also be cool to see a coloured frame, I know someone who has a car with a tube-frame that is royal blue while the car is silver. Looks normal from the outside but when you pop the hood or look underneath its pretty cool.
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyNCA on Thu May 14, 2015 9:05 pm

David V. wrote:From the outside you will not see any of the frame, you will see some pretty much only in the engine bay. Most people on here have black powdercoat. As for me, the galvanization treatment means no other product is needed, it gives it a light shiny aluminum color when new and over time oxidizes to the colour of steel and stays that way. (FYI molten zinc galvanization is the same process used to weatherproof steel telephone and light poles as well as those tall electrical wire supporting towers).

It would also be cool to see a coloured frame, I know someone who has a car with a tube-frame that is royal blue while the car is silver. Looks normal from the outside but when you pop the hood or look underneath its pretty cool.

I already asked a company for a quote on the galvanized dip for the chassis, haven't heard back yet.

I am also looking at some stuff called Chassis Saver from magnet paints. Sounds like it's kind of like POR15, but it comes in a Silver Aluminum color which includes alot of flake aluminum in it which they claim helps smooth pits and rust damage. They say over time it's appearance doesn't change much, which I like that idea. The problem with POR15 and the other like it, they go grey over time unless you overcoat them with another layer of paint. Another reason I like the option, I don't have to blast the chassis, it comes with a prep step and then you shoot it right over the surface rust.

RustyNCA

Back to top Go down

Post by David V. on Fri May 15, 2015 11:57 am

If you go with galvanization though, just keep in mind a few things: It adds weight (biggest drawback), make sure all holes are drilled before the process (holes drilled after will expose the chassis to oxidizing agents), a medium sized hole must be drilled into all closed tubes to allow for heated gasses to escape and the zinc to drain back out (consult with the company for details), and lastly no rust-prep is needed (the company will dip it in an acid tank before moving on to the zinc, all rust will be gone).

Its not the best performance option, but if done right you will never worry about rust again unless you take an angle grinder to part of your frame.
David V.
Admin

http://healeyreplicas.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top